Current Event Information
When to take your photo:
Translates to: 19:00 UTC*
Submissions: This is a live event, meaning all images are to be posted on the MI24 event page at the time of the event. If you cannot submit your photo via Facebook, you can email it to mentalbeans (at) tuliptreestudios (dot) com by Monday, January 28, 2013 end of day.
Submitting images for the online exhibition:
- File naming: Please name the file as your first name followed by MI24 (example: shanMI24.jpg)
- Information to include: your location in the world, the time the photo was taken (your time zone), and any information about the photo you wish to be included with your photo in the online photo exhibition.
- Send to: mentalbeans (at) tuliptreestudios (dot) com
*If your timezone is not included, please get in touch, or use this time zone converter tool by entering 15:30 UTC on December 8, 2012 as the time, and then enter your location.
Mondo Instante, or MI, is the global photography experiment originally developed by three women on three different continents— North America (Shannon in the Cleveland, Ohio area of the United States), South America (Mecha in Puerto Madrin, Argentina), and Europe (Silvia in Rimini, Italy). Thanks to the wonders of technology and social media the three of us first conceptualized and then hashed out the idea in October of 2010.
To join an MI Event
MI is a synchronized, time-specific global photography event that only lasts only one minute. Watch for the posts here and on Facebook for the announcement of the date and time of the event. When an event is announced, the time is given in UTC time and is then converted for local times for it’s participants all around the world.
At the specified MI event time, participants take a photo of where they are/what they are doing or seeing at that exact moment. Your photo can be pre-planned, or off the cuff. The idea is to create for just a brief moment in time, little windows into the lives of other participants around the world. The photo taking and subsequent viewing is great fun. Even more captivating is that feeling of unity, however brief, that is caused by the simultaneous anticipation that comes with taking part in a coordinated global event.
Sending your photos to Mental Beans for inclusion in the online exhibition
After the event is over, photos are then emailed to the Mental Beans! blog (deadline for submissions will be posted with the announcement) at: mentalbeans (at) tuliptreestudios (dot) com. Photos will later appear on the Mental Beans! blog and on our Flickr gallery in a group exhibition soon after. All are welcome, and it is the goal of MI to increase participation with every passing event, so please spread the word and to invite your loved ones!
History of the project
The project name itself, Mondo Instante, is a blend of Italian “Mondo” (World) and Spanish “Instante” (Instant)—meaning “the world in an instant”—to honor the native languages of Silvia and Mecha.
The project occurs once every three to four weeks on a predetermined day at a specific time, and lasts only an instant (Mondo Instante!). At this designated singular moment, all participants from points around the world are ready with camera in hand to take a photograph of their immediate environment, whether it be a self portrait, of someone or some object close by, or a panoramic shot of their location. The photos are then submitted, and then finally posted together side by side in an online gallery exhibition here on the blog— little windows into the lives of people all over the world at the same moment in time.
In the first year of Mondo Instante we held 12 events. In that time 80 individual participants sent in photos.
The photos came from 4 continents—Asia, Europe, North America and South America. 13 countries were represented with photos taken in Argentina, Canada, England, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lower Austria, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Serbia, Switzerland and The United States.
2 provinces in Canada participated, which were Alberta and Ontario. In the USA photos came from 19 states from one coast to the other. California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington state all have been photographed.
A total of 284 photos were taken for the MI project so far at the close of MI12. Photos were taken in 64 different cities around the world.
Mondo Instante One Year Celebration! Details and photos from that event
Past photo exhibitions
Here you can view slide shows of past Mondo Instante gallery exhibitions and follow the links to the archived posts for each for detailed information about each photo.
- Mondo Instante 23 Part 1: all day Friday December 21, 2012 (We’re still here! Mayan end of world event)
- Mondo Instante 23 Part 2: all day Saturday December 22, 2012 (Joe Strummer Tribute event)
- Mondo Instante 22 Saturday, December 8, 2012 16:00:00 UTC
- Mondo Instante 21 “About Face” Mondo Instante 2-year celebration, all day Saturday, October 27, 2012
- Mondo Instante 20 Saturday, September 22, 2012 14:30:00 UTC
- Mondo Instante 19 Sunday, July 29, 2012 20:00:00 UTC
- Mondo Instante 18 Sunday June 24, 2012 17:30:00 UTC
- Mondo Instante 17 Saturday, May 12, 2012 20:00:00 UTC
- Mondo Instante 16 Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3pm EST*
- Mondo Instante 15 – Saturday, January 28, 2012 20:20 UTC
- Mondo Instante 14 – New Years MI! Saturday, December 31, 2011 all day (up through 12:00 midnight local time)
- Mondo Instante 13 – Friday, November 18th, 2011 19:00 UTC
- Mondo Instante 12 - October 23, 2011 (Special all day event to celebrate 1 year of MI)
- Mondo Instante 11 Sunday, September, 25th 20:15 UTC
- Mondo Instante 10 Friday, August 19, 2011 22:00 UTC
- Mondo Instante 9 Saturday, July 2, 2011 20:00 UTC
- Mondo Instante 8 Saturday, May 28, 2011 20:00 UTC
- Mondo Instante 7 Saturday, April 16, 2011 21:15 UTC
- Mondo Instante 6 Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:30 pm UTC
- Mondo Instante 5 Monday, February 14, 2011 8pm/20:00 UTC
- Mondo Instante 4 Friday, January 21, 2011 4pm/16:00 UTC
- Mondo Instante 3 Saturday, December 18, 2010 9:30pm/21:30 UTC
- Mondo Instante 2 Friday, November 26, 2010 12pm/12:00 UTC
- Mondo Instante 1 Saturday, October 23, 2010 5pm/17:00 UTC